Monday, January 26, 2009

Writing for writing sake

Today I had a meeting and the other participant didn't show up. I actually suspect that she might have called but a) I cannot find my cell phone and it isn't charged b) I've changed my phone number and my old phone has a message that I cannot hear c) my new phone rang several times but I couldn't reach it d) I don't know how to check voicemail on my new phone. It is amazing to me that every form of verbal communication has failed me today...I find it fascinating not frustrating...but it hasn't moved me to change any of the issues just yet. I am not an avid cell phone user and I just for Christmas got a modern phone versus the kind that has the cord. So...communicating by phone has never been a huge priority for some reason...but I am moving in the right direction....slowly.

Anyway, given that my client couldn't make the meeting, I had time to myself to sit and reflect. I opened my notebook and just started writing. I wrote just what came to my mind. At first I wanted to write on different topics separately...how to start a business, how to get new clients, what I am going to say in a phone meeting tomorrow, how to start a coaching group locally and so on and so forth. Well, my goals for taking time on each individual topic went out the window quite quickly so I just let my mind do the talking. It was amazing how quickly I wrote and how many pages I filled. I had lists, paragraphs, lists, side notes, thoughts, plans and then back again. I decided to end my writing session with the 30 things that came to my mind in that moment. Why 30? That is how many lines were on one side of my notebook. So the list contains both simple household things like clean the toilets to big things like write a business plan. What am I going to do with all this writing?....I don't know. It is possible that it just got out of my brain and into another form, OR I will commit to looking back on it to see if there are any nuggets to pull for me moving forward with plans in my life. Either way I believe it was a fabulous exercise for me to stop my brain from running in circles without an exit...the writing was an offramp for my thoughts. Interesting to me too is that I prefer to hand write in those moments versus type. I am an extremely fast typer (if I do say so myself) so I bet I could really make some amazing leaps...but the writing seems as though it is channeling a different part of my brain that helps me to process the information better...is that true? I have no clue, maybe there is brain research about that. Anyway, I recommend to everyone to buy a notebook specifically dedicated to dumping your thoughts (in no certain order OR if you are OCD..in a very orderly way). You may find that you lift a block in your brain, that you realize you've been putting something off, that you actually like writing and want to do more of it, or you'll realize that your hand hurts and you don't want to do that again and you toss the notebook in the river....either way, it might be something to break the circular thoughts in your mind....I'll get back to you if any big insights come my way!

No comments: