Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mommy Tourettes

The other day my son was delaying getting to bed. The moment I told him to hurry, he started in on a whiny rant. Without thinking and in a split second out of my mouth came "whiner" loud enough for him to hear (like someone with Tourettes Syndrome). Weeeellll. That did not sit well with little monkey. That is like using the word 'stupid' to him. He was hurt to his core that his mommy would call him a whiner.

Part of me is glad I said it out loud (without thinking) because it might give him a perspective that his reactions do actually have a negative impact on me and hence him.

The other part of me feels truly guilty that I hurt his feeling so much; he was devastated by my response. I definitely apologized and talked through why I think I blurted it out. Then right before he went to sleep I told him I was sorry again and that I loved him. The damage was done, but I think we're good.

Today he started in on a whine and I asked him to please stop whining...then that made him cry because he didn't think he was whining. I know the mommy books are going to tell me that instead of beating him up that way and using the word whine I should give him the tools to speak in a different tone. So I think I'm supposed to say...Monkey, mommy cannot understand what you want when you speak that way. OR maybe, can you change your tone so I can understand you better? Or maybe, slow down and tell me what you want in a calm voice. I'm sure there is some better way. I will try to catch myself the next time. Its just that 7 years of a sensitive, quick to cry, 'whiny' demeanor can sometimes hit a nerve...we both have some work to do.

By the way....I love my sensitive son....to the core. Just being honest here.

No comments: