Thursday, January 22, 2009

Your story is no good here

Last night, I went out with a whole bunch of my 'tribe' of Martha Beck coaches. We are at many different phases in the process (and confidence). I probably fall at the bottom of experience and confidence so I was soaking in everything that I heard from the crowd and asked pointed questions. There was not a dull moment and let me tell you, we did not just stay on the topic of coaching, I cannot even say what we discussed in mixed company, but it was fun, deep, exposing, sad, self effacing and many things in between. We've known each other for hours really (not days) and it still felt lovely, warm and safe. It felt good.

When you're in this kind of environment where people can smell your BS before it even leaves your mouth, it is humbling. It is also a little unnerving because you realize you have a lot of work to do to 'clean up your thinking' and it can set you back a bit. I am loving my 'process' and know I have a long way to go, but I also know that I have a nice support network to fall back to in times of uncertainty (not financial but mental). By the way, what I mean by BS in not the out and out lie kind, but the story that you tell yourself (and others) that isn't true and it isn't serving you very well. For example...something that came out of my mouth was "I don't have a broad network of people to draw from for a client pool because I'm just a mom who hangs out at school and in my neighborhood and none of my friends would spend the money on coaching"....if there could be a big neon sign over everyone's head when I said that it would say BS with blinking swirly lights. Once it came out of my mouth I knew that they would NOT buy it and would push and prod for me to get out of that story because it isn't true and believing the story will keep me stuck...and stuck doesn't feel good!

Anyhoo....do you have someone who picks apart your 'stories'...you might find it uncomfortable, but it is the BEST way to get at the real you, not the wall of stories and excuses for why you aren't living the life you want to live....I'm off now to do some 'untelling' of some of my stories...SELF coaching is the way to go! I can teach you how!

No comments: