Friday, January 23, 2009

Mothership is losing power

News from our neck of the woods is not so good. Microsoft is putting people out of jobs and we live smack dab in the middle of the town where the lay offs are happening. My husband works there and yesterday I got many concerned calls. Well, firstly, I never heard the news so I was caught off guard and then I wasn't quite sure one way or the other because my husband hadn't contacted me but was counting on the 'no news is good news' cliche. It is, in fact the case that we dodged that bullet FOR NOW. The forecast for the future is more job losses for the next 18 months so who knows who, what, when or where the next will come. I'm cautiously optimistic that my husband is in a good group that actually brings in some cash for the company. My advice to him is 'heads down' and do a good job...mister!

An ironic thing happened to him yesterday. The doom and gloom of the news and pink slips happened during the day and at 5pm a stretch Hummer limo showed up to pick up my husband and about 20 other colleagues for a swank dinner at the Herbfarm. It felt just WRONG to be leaving the office in such style as the dirge of job losses was playing in the building. In fact, one of the colleagues in the limo had in fact received notice his job was cut.

I am certain that I will know at least one, but perhaps more in this situation and I am going to be learning some new coping skills for helping friends in need. I also am hopeful that we won't be needing the same support down the road...please, please, please say we're OK!

No comments: