Monday, January 19, 2009

Progress

My son came home from school on Friday all full of information about Martin Luther King Jr. I thought it was so touching and it made me hopeful that he believes in equality and sees how it can make a difference in the world and how utterly WRONG it is to discriminate. It felt that he understood and it was rewarding to discuss this issue with a first grader and see glimpses of understanding. That gives me hope that his generation will be so much more enlightened. Tomorrow's Inauguration is one more notch in the belt for ensuring my hopes.

One picture in his Scholastic Report was of the white and colored drinking fountains. From the looks of it, my son extrapolated that the colored fountain was fed through the white fountain and that the black people had to drink the spit water of the whites. I HOPE that wasn't true...but I wouldn't put it past them back then. Shame on us!

I am excited for the days to come and also realistic that we have a long road ahead of us. I pray that Obama and his administration and all the people (bipartisan) of the US (and world) rally around to make sure we pull up our bootstraps and move forward with what needs to be done to thrive. No matter your political inclinations, it is in our best interest to support and pray for those who lead our nation. Change is good (scary and hard...but good)!

No comments: