Monday, January 5, 2009

I love rain - TODAY

For the first morning in my life I woke up and thanked God for rain! Who knew! I'm usually grumbly over rain. Weeeeeeelllll...last night it was snowing. There was a chance that school would be CANCELLED AGAIN. Having spent 19 days with the kids 24/7 I was looking so forward to this day to get back into my old routine (whatever that is). When the snow showed up I was feeling that Mother Nature was playing a very dirty trick. She should know better. All the mothers in the Pacific Northwest have bags packed, clothes laid out, breakfast prepared and minds focused deliberately on hugging our munchkins as we PUSH them on the bus. At dinner last night I told the family that if we did in fact have another snow day, that I might be finding a nice hospital to check myself into. My daughter (nearly 9) totally got it without me having to explain what I meant (wise soul), my son wasn't as clear and was a tiny bit concerned that I was literal (was I?). Anyway, this morning I heard RAIN on our skylight and I was giddy.

Now, I think someone out there decided that I had to pay a little for this because all morning I've been battling things. My daughter's closet wouldn't open so I had to physically tear it from its tracks, my computer somehow decided to lock up (I believe from the power outage last night), I forgot to wrap the teacher gifts (because we didn't get to finish the week before holiday break), the sugar I was trying to reach for my oatmeal kept slipping from my fingers on the top shelf so I had to get a stool...that is when I decided to stop feeding my 'bad luck' and saying 'this too shall pass', and 'I can solve this one' and 'you're not going to get ME down'. The pep talks worked me through the moments of frustration, but nagging in my head is...will this 'stuff' continue all day? If they do, I have two choices...one to focus on them and group them together and say I had a bad day, or take it moment by moment and say, 'this is just a minor set back'.

You've just had a little view into my mind lately. I am working desperately to 'live in the moment', have gratitude, and to believe that I deserve to have whatever I want and the possibilities are 'unlimited'..... HMMM I just read that word and I believe I need another one. I think the fact that it contains the word 'limit' in it might be confusing to me (and the universe). So, maybe I'll do a little thesaurus check to find a more empowering word?

OK, enough rambling for the day I'm off to tidy, reflect and have my 1.5 hour class where I get to be a client. I need to reflect on my week to find the most 'challenging' bit to be ready to be coached on it. I know what it is, a difficult meeting. Here's to facing my challenges instead of letting them happen "to me".

No comments: