Thursday, March 5, 2009

Holy Blue Taffeta Batman

My father just sent me this blast from the past photo from my Senior Prom (Naples, Italy 1987). There are too many things to say about this photo...but here goes a few:

HOLY COW I had blond hair

HOLY COW that is a crazy blue dress with matching lace gloves
HOLY COW I had blue eyeshadow on my eyes

HOLY COW I looked terribly surprised

HOLY COW I treated that poor boy like doggy doo doo.

So, the story goes that my friend Jules had a date (Ricky) and I didn't. I was only at the school for 1 year and had decided that I wouldn't do much 'dating' as I was going to be graduating and moving onto greener pastures. So, Ricky had a friend named Jeff and he needed a date too. Well...I was a pure PITA about this prom date thing. I did not like Jeff (in the boyfriend kind of way -I am not partial to mustaches for one thing) and so I decided to treat the boy like dirt so that he didn't get any ideas. The poor boy was probably just trying to have a date so he didn't have to fly solo and I put him through some great psychological hoops. I barely talked to him leading up to the event. I acted sullen and boring in front of him. I was just a pill. He probably had an awful time before, during and after the event (there was an after party where I extended my lovely evil princess torture).

To this day, I feel like a real heel about this. So...Jeff, if you're out there, I apologize for being a turd and I wish you all of the happiness and good fortune you deserve. Now an apology to myself...Chief, I am sorry that you felt you had to create a hostile environment to feel protected against the risk of having a kind and friendly relationship with another human being due to the social expectations of what "Prom Date" might mean. I also apologize to you young Chief that you did not have the confidence to either state your intentions OR to say "no thank you" and be comfortable in your own skin to go to Prom alone. Now...the true genius in this recap is to try to extend this life lesson to my young children and instill the confidence of being honest, real and true to yourself at all times...HOLY COW that is a tall order!
Another lesson is that Royal Blue Taffeta, matching gloves and eye shadow is a fashion NO NO. I actually saw Paula Abdul on American Idol with a similar color and equally gaudy look...need I say more?

1 comment:

Jill said...

This picture is funny on many different levels. However, the first thing that struck me as funny is your date. When you first look at the picture, it looks like he has a bouffant. (This is obviously because of the picture behind him.) Thanks for sharing.