Monday, March 9, 2009

Tough times call for bold action

Here I am in all my glory today March 9, 2009 in the CRAZY SNOW doing CRAZY THINGS. Today I planned to take a picture of myself to post on my blog to make a bold and serious statement to the world that I am ready to make a commitment to myself to eat healthier and to get fit. Then it started snowing which made it even a MORE bold statement (brrrrr). I've had it with the 10 (+) pounds that I have been talking about but not getting rid of. So...by golly, if showing the Internet my body doesn't give me incentive, I don't know what will. I did not come up with idea on my own. There is a fellow coach of mine named Cindy Willick who has a 'channel' called Baring It All. Another fellow coach took her photo in the snow for all to see too. I had been meaning to do this myself for months now...and I've been eating poorly and being a bit lazy lately so this is my last ditch effort to take a stand for my body! In the spirit of Bridget Jone's Diary I will also post my weight. As of this morning (with no clothes on) I weighed 138lb. I know in my heart that I am not really that overweight OR that I look that bad...but I do feel that there is a slippery slope and I am feeling as if I'm at the crest of it and REALLY don't want to go down it (I've seen friends and family on the slope and I see the struggles it causes).



The history of this is that for all of my adult life up until about 2 years ago, my weight had a handy dandy way of staying within a comfortable range of 125-128. That weight would stay even when I lived a whole year in London "living large" (as it were). I got a bit cocky with this range (ie would push the outer limits of unhealthy eating and imbibing). When I was in graduate school and very stressed out I actually dipped low to about 110 and as much as it felt good to see that number, it wasn't a normal healthy range for me. Before having my daughter I followed the Zone diet and was at something like 119 and then when breastfeeding her I got back down to 121....all of those times were circumstances that I either had EXTREME control over or extenuating circumstances that reduced my weight. I no longer have my handy range, I don't have extenuating factors, and I've lost some of my self control. Quite frankly I am not interested in becoming STRICT dieter. I just want to hover back in the healthy range I had in my 20s and most of my 30s. I'm realizing now that it is something I'll have to work at, but it isn't an unreasonable task....it'll take a little discipline, a little discernment, a little discretion but....it is achievable. Because it is only 10 pounds, I feel that THIS is the time to take control...because the higher it gets of course the more effort it will take.

My daughter took the picture and picked the bathing suit. I didn't tell her I was trying to get skinny, I told her I'd like to eat healthier and exercise more in order to BE HEALTHY. I told her that by focusing on good foods and fitness that my heart and body would thank me AND...as a result my bathing suit would fit better. As for the bathing suit...about 3 years ago I did a major focus on my weight and fitness and felt pretty comfortable in the suit...I don't feel that way now (and may never again)....but it is my benchmark...you've got to start somewhere.


So...there it is, I've bared it all and I feel that butterfly feeling again (like when I stated my WIG)...but again, it is a good butterfly feeling like I know I can do this and I know that I'll be fine even though everyone has seen me in close to nothing....life still goes on....the world still spins...in fact, I've set something 'in motion' inside me that is very exciting. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Way to go girl!!!