Thursday, March 19, 2009

Well my son, life is not fair

Son: Mommy, since Daddy and I put the seat down for you and Princess, why don't you leave the seat up for us?

Mommy: Well son, this is what one might call a 'double standard' wherein boys just are "expected" to do this for the girls and not the other way around. And anyway, do you want us to fall into the toilet?

Son: (Starting to look a little disappointed in this logic) Mommy, but we do it for you why can't you do it for us?

Mommy: Honey, it is just one of life's mysteries that you'll just have to accept and do and it really isn't a fair trade is it?

Son: No it isn't (verging on some tears).....(he is a sensitive soul)

Daddy comes in, puts his arm around Monkey and basically says, "sometimes son, it just isn't fair...but we can stick together, you and I".

And they walk out together arm in arm....

There was a "life is not fair" story in my 'family lore'. My brother was complaining about something to my aunt and claiming "it isn't fair!". In a bit of a huff, my aunt took my brother and sat him (my memory might even be a friendly shove) on the couch and strongly stated "LIFE is not fair". My memory is quite shady on this because I was many years younger than my brothers, but I seem to remember this event either from it being told so often, or from actually being there. I think my brother would argue that he had been given many indicators that life isn't fair...but I have to say, he's shouldered that burden quite handsomely. Perhaps Aunt Mary's 'life lesson' is what he needed to buck up and be the amazing man he is today (even though his nickname IS Eeyore).

In my opinion, life IS fair (and not only because I have a 'Polly Anna' life). I am beginning to believe that all of the experiences we have in life (good and bad) are happening at the right time to the right people to bring us to the purpose we are meant to have on earth. I know that sounds all airy fairy, but in my heart, I'm beginning to believe that everything is perfect...good and bad! 'Nough Said.

2 comments:

Hear Me Roar! said...

I love this post!

PHILIP JOHNSON said...

Martha Washington:

The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions, not our circumstances.Nice Comment!